July 28: So we arose early, predawn early, to the sounds of Mia trying to wake us up. She has a new tactic and it’s unattractive and annoying. I guess she found that getting in my face and yelling wasn’t an effective measure to get me popping out of bed. Now she is resorting to whining. Her feeble, petulant complaints didn’t fall on deaf ears. As much as I hate the cat howl and will ignore her cries with a pillow over my head, I had to acquiesce to her sorrowful pleading to feel the morning breeze in her face. She will skip breakfast when we are on anchor to get her nose out the hatch and run around the boat. Annabelle isn’t as vocal, she’s not Siamese, but she’s just as adamant about getting out and chasing morning bugs.


We’re back down below now after a couple cups of coffee in the cockpit and a few spider web clearing cat strolls around the perimeter of the boat. A predatory eagle is circling this morning and definitely spied Mia and Annabelle making their laps on the foredeck. Mia sensed she was being hunted and her tail puffed out and she crouched into fear mode. Annabelle chose flight and darted down to the protected area of the cabin. I had to scoop up a frozen in fear Mia and bring her down to the main salon.


We are in the wilderness, after all. Funny, though, we arrived late to the anchorage yesterday and we found our normally peaceful and secluded spot crowded with fifteen boats. Crowded is a relative term. There’s plenty of space here. Our late departure was all Jim’s doing. Jim just couldn’t seem to get off the pier. He had to make a stop at the hardware store for some little part for something he’s plotting, make a last stop to buy fresh white fish from Purvis (the local fishing boat), and swapped stories with other boaters. We motor sailed back to John’s Harbor and it was surprisingly warmer on the water than it was in Gore Bay.


We’re back in this anchorage again because we’re staying in this area to meet up with Mike and Dana who are trying to make their way up here. Northern Lake Michigan isn’t cooperating with their attempts. They’ve been facing high waves, high winds, rain and fog. Their boat does not have a dodger and without one those conditions can be miserable. We’ve been texting back and forth and they’re still trying to get off of Beaver Island. So, we’re going to enjoy a day back in John’s Harbor, protect the cats from nasty birds that want to eat them, and work on getting the whitefish smell out of the boat while we linger.


We don’t carry a grill with us. We have a boat grill in the garage and it will certainly be part of our gear for next year, but for now we get by well with our propane stove and a George Forman. It would have come in handy last night with Jim’s purchase of freshly caught fish. I breaded it and fried it up in a pan on the stove. My galley is large for a boat and we have an excellent exhaust fan over the stove, but I couldn’t turn it on until we started up the generator. The inverter doesn’t provide enough electrical power to fuel up the fan and we don’t like to turn on the generator until we absolutely have to charge up the batteries. Anyway, I don’t much like to cook stinky, messy things like fish when we’re at anchor for those reasons.   The bag that the fish was in is in the lazarette and not making noxious smells in the galley. I’ve wiped the countertops, stovetop, floor and ceiling with a bleach and water mixture and went over it with Mr. Clean. I soaked the rags I used to clean and hung them on the lifelines overnight. For some reason, I still smell fish. I think the smell may be embedded in my hands and not in the boat at all. I recall that washing your hands with toothpaste can remedy that. That’s my next chore.


Jim plans on packing a fishing pole and all the appurtenances for angling when we head out for our year south. I have mixed feelings about this. Fishing gear will take up valuable storage space. I can’t clean a fish. I don’t want to learn how to clean a fish. I don’t like what’s involved in fish cleaning and the mess it will make on the decks of the boat. However, I do like to eat fish and sometimes I even enjoy preparing fish and trying new recipes and spices, but there are scary fish in the ocean. Some are VERY big, some contain poisons, and without being able to identify a mackerel from a dorado, I just don’t want to mess with it.   I’ve never actually witnessed Jim fish other than helping out the kids years ago with their little Mickey Mouse poles, so I have no idea if he is even a talented angler. I do know Jim, though. If he gets a hankering to do something, he’s going to be successful at it to the point of obsession. I’m not sure I want to be onboard with that kind of compulsion or with the stinky, scary fish that will result.   Call me selfish, unenthusiastic, narrow minded, lazy, buzz killer…whatever I’ll pack some salmon in the freezer and purchase fish along the way from local markets and do my part for island economies, but I don’t want to encourage fishing on our boat. 


July 26-27  Everyone keeps asking, "Where are You?" and when I answer "Whalesback Channel" or "Inbetween Dewdney Island and John Island" I get the response, "Oh.".  Most of these places can only be reached by boat and it takes awhile to get here, so I don't blame anyone for not really knowing where we are, but we've spent the last couple of days in Gore Bay again (see map above).  I can't remember why we pulled anchor a couple of days ago, but we did. We had enough water in our tanks, but I won't drink that water.  So it was probably because we needed drinking water.  Jim's working on a filtration system, though, so that we won't have that problem in the future.


We're also exploring watermaker options.  This will be a necessity once we hit the salt water next year.  The weather has been a bit nasty, so we have had time to start investigating the things we need to do for our big trip next year.  My big thing has been courtesy flags for the countries we will be visiting.  It's not just a "courtesy", I found.  Some countries have fines up to $500.00 for not flying a flag of the country you're entering.  Flags can get very expensive, so I plan to reseach and try to keep this affordable and have the necessary ones onboard before we leave.


I had a pleasant afternoon chatting with three young men (middle schoolers) who showed me their rock collections.  We discussed the geology of the area and the geography.  Their parents came to collect them around dinnertime, but we had a great afternoon playing with Annabelle and Mia and talking about everything from fish to photography and soccer to boats.  Two of the boys are traveling with thier parents on a powerboat.  They're from our neck of the woods.  The other boy was sailing with his parents from Sandusky, Ohio.  They didn't know I was a teacher until their parents apologized to me for taking up my afternoon and my boat.  I didn't mind in the least. 


So, we're finishing up a load of laundry and other boat chores and will be heading out to anchor this afternoon.  Hopefully, the weather gets a little better especially in Lake Michigan.  We're waiting for friends that are having a heck of a time getting up here due to high winds and waves.  

July 19-25th:  I know that my blog has been a bit bland and dull this year.  It hasn't been because the anchorages, marinas and routes we have taken are similar to the ones we visited in years past.  We are actually enjoying the trip MORE this year. Music is one indication of that. It's funny that music has always played an important role in my life.  All my memories can be related to what I was listening to at the time.  On our previous trips I was too nervous to play anything on my ipod.  I figured that I'd miss something that Jim said or more importantly, miss something that the boat was trying to communicate.  Alright, this may sound downright goofy to anyone who istens to the radio at top volume and can still hear their car engine burp over their tunes.  I just didn't want to miss any unusual sound that may indicate we were in trouble.  I'm not so much full of irrational fears this year.  This summer, I mark our days by what we're in the mood to listen to.  Today was definitely a Rolling Stones and Joss Stone day.


We're one of four boats anchored between Dewdney Island and John's Island.  I can barely see the dinghies on the other boats and clearly the people onboard the boats are of the same mindset we are.  I have no qualms about turning up the speakers a couple of notches than normal.  The other boats can't hear our music....privacy, ahhhh.


We're people that have lived twenty years in a fish bowl, it seems, on a city block and spent our summers on a boat that we always brought back to a pier sandwiched between weekend warriors and other pier rats.  This is pure heaven to sit on anchor a few days in a row and not see another individual except the one you sail with


It's not that we don't like other people.  We do.  We have a fine good time with other boaters that we meet along the way and enjoy the arranged potlucks and card games.  Bit sometimes, it's just nice to relax, keep your own schedule and explore individually.  


So, we spent Sunday again without pulling the anchor.  We kayaked around and investigated the rocks and island inlets and climbed rocks.  Of course, we swam.  I've been devouring books like they were potato chips.  I'm reading a lot more this summer which is a good indication that I'm not hanging over charts and pointing out every scary rock along our routes.  I'm not as frightened by the geography here and much more trustful of the electronics on the boat.  I even sleep better.  Our anchor has held nicely this year and we know where to anchor depending upon wind conditions.  I feel so much more confidant in myself and the boat.


Our friends Mike and Dana are headed this way later this week to meet up with us.  We're excited to be spending some time with old frinds from home.  I've been texting (texts are free) with Dana about what to pack and prepare for their time up here on their boat.  See, we aren't all that anti-social at all.  We'll be leaving the North Channel with the since we have to be at a wedding in St. Joe, Michigan mid-August and Mike and Dana will be heading back to Kenosha to get to work.  There's that four letter word.  Actually, that's another excuse for my bland and boring blog.  All my creativity has been channeled into "work" related endeavors.  It's not all fun and games, but I feel so blessed that I'm here and happily able to create, write and spend my days on the water.


On Monday morning we reaccessed our position and the high wind warnings.  We really thought that the land masses surrounding us would offer us the protection from high waves and wind action.  By Monday afternoon we were listening to thunder and still soaking up the sun.  The wind picked up right around the cats' dinnertime which coincides with cocktail hour for us.  We watched a boat (the only boat at that time) anchored across from us slide about 200 feet on their anchor.  They pulled and headed for another hurricane hole.  We turned on our anchor alarm and bobbed around in 22 knots of wind and watched the white caps build.  Wilson, the nickname we gave the ball that marks our anchor, held steady in the same spot, but Mia cried.  The noise of the wind through the rigging had her headed down the ladder.  Our brave old lady, Annabelle, went in the opposite direction.  She had to see for herself what all the commotion was about.  Go Sailor Cat!!  Honestly, though, once the wind meter claimed that the gusts were 35 knots, both cats were in their underway perches.  I guess it might have seemed to them that we were actually sailing when we were just dancing back and forth on the anchor chain.


We're now in port to reprovision and take care of other boat needs and escape the driving rain.  I feel terrible that I told Dana that I've only needed a sweatshirt in the mornings.  That's karma for you. I'm in a sweater and long pants this afternoon.  Miserable day, but our first this summer.  Can't complain about that. I'll try to be a tad less borning and dull, but I'm afraid that the excitement will be contained until next summer.


We really feel we're ready now to make the voyage through the St. Lawrence Seaway and into salt water.  This winter we have a list of to-dos (getting longer after every conversation we have about it) and we will be ready in the spring.  The main task is to get the emergency life raft repacked.  We'll have that done in Chicago.  We have some research to do, courtesy flags to purchase for the nations we'll be visiting, a water maker to purchase.....ahhh that list is long, but doable.  

Not a lot of this going on: Too many windless days
Not a lot of this going on: Too many windless days

July 13th-18th:  Holy Mother of God, it's been HOT.  Hot, humid and little wind.  Even the water has been 78 degrees.  So, we spent several days on the hook in a protected anchorage that provides ample protection if a storm ever decided to blow in and give us some relief.


In anticipation of a downpour we pulled the kayak out of the water and turned it upside down on the foredeck.  The thing only weighs 35 lbs, but fill it with water and it's a bugger to haul up onto the boat and deflate.  But the pretty colors on the radar screne that indicate that we're in for some weather split apart AGAIN once it was about 3 miles from striking us.  We've had a few sprinkles, but nothing to break the horrible humidity or to stop us from exploring by kayak and rock climbing.


The anchorage we stayed at for a few days is in the Whalesback Channel just east of another popular anchorage called Beardrop.  It's beautiful and if I had to say what my favorite  place in the North Channel is my answer would have to be that very spot.  We anchored here last year and there were four other boats that found the spot too.  This year we had it all to ourselves, at least for one day anyway.  It's very private and lends itself to skinny dipping if one is so inclined.  I'm not so much.  (Another issue for another time)

Our privacy was distupted by a Grand Banks trawler that came barreling into the cove and sending a wake our way that pissed off the cats.  Mr. and Mrs. Grand Banks didn't waste much time and hopped into their dinghy, full speed toward us sending another wake that had the cats running down the ladder from their peaceful perches in the cockpit.  Mr. and Mrs. Grand Banks had a pressing question for us.  The first words spat from Mr. Grand Banks mouth were, "How long are you going to be here?"  He also added that this (meaning where we had placed our anchor) was their favorite spot and implied that we were infringing on their "secret anchorage".  Whatever.  With no wind building we squatted for a few days right where we were.  Sad for them that Mother Nature doesn't take reservations.  The only reason I write about this is because it's strikingly odd to run across this type of rudeness in this area. It's why we love it here so much and keep returning.


On a sillier note:  Mia has taken to waking us up before dawn by racing up and down the interior of the boat, landing on our heads and leaping back off the bed for another lap from stem to stern.  All of this with her signature Siamese Cat exclamation of her presense.  She'll do this until we get up and pour coffee and open the hatch.  Then she's up the ladder and racing to the bow pulpit and back to the cockpit.  She acts like a kitten.  Annabelle looks at her in her elderly, scolding fashion enough to say, "You're an idiot.".  I don't want to be going for an early morning swim to retreive a crazy cat from the water.  I don't want to squelch her morning enthusiasm by forcing her to wear a harness, but it may be in the plan if she doesn't settle down.


We've been cranking up the generator more often to run the air conditioning to keep the girls cool.  Their fur coats must be miserable in this humidity.  Otherwise, their appetites haven't been compromised and they seem happy.  We finally broke down last week and bought another litter box.  Annabelle destroyed a rug by her refusal to use the litter box after Mia takes her midnight poo. We haven't had any issues since we bought a second box.  I don't blame the old girl.  I'd pee in the woods before I'd use a dirty porta potty.  So, all's good again in cat sailor world.


We had cell service in the Whalesback Channel, so we didn't mind staying there a few days.  But once the wind came up, we pulled anchor and headed for Gore Bay to get a pump out and top off on fuel.  All the AC/generator usage costs fuel, so we topped off and decided to spend a couple days here.  We have internet while in port and family we need to keep in contact with right now.  So, it's another rainless, humid day in the North Channel, but we're in port and since I can run it off (ran 3 miles this morning), I may get Jim to splurge on ice cream cones.

Write a comment

Comments: 5
  • #1

    Judy (Wednesday, 18 July 2012 12:16)

    Your pictures are beautiful. Looks like a lot of relaxing going on. So peaceful..

  • #2

    somewhere54 (Wednesday, 18 July 2012 16:43)

    Thank you, Judy! Hope you're staying cool. I'm ashamed to complain about the heat when I know it's something fierce in the States, especially for you.

  • #3

    somewhere54 (Wednesday, 18 July 2012 16:43)

    in your neck of the woods

  • #4

    Linda (Friday, 20 July 2012 10:43)

    Looks so peaceful and beautiful up there.

  • #5

    Judy (Sunday, 29 July 2012 09:31)

    So,plans are to not go very far this year? Trying to figure out where you are from the map you posted. Hope your relaxing.

July 12th  I'm officially another year older and already started it with a dose of guilt.  Even though we're tied to a pier, I didn't run this morning.  I cleaned the boat instead and played on the internet instead of keeping to my disciplined practice.  I really should have gone running because I did eat a great deal last night.  We were very much surprised to find a decent eating establishment on Manitoulin Island.  The Cafe on the Bay in Gore Bay is actually a diamond.  The restaurant is clean and quaint, the wait staff is efficient, and the food was very good.  


We also stopped in to My O' Blues factory outlet.  This little shop is also a gem.  When you walk in you can hear the buzz of the sewing machines in the back.  Everything is made from quality fleece and the designs are mostly Canadian pride:  Lots of red and maple leaf motif.  We picked up cute little goodies for the grandkids (like we did last year).  We were actually assisted by the owner/designer/boss of the outfit.  She was so excited to show us her designs for the US Women's Curling Team.  She's also reaching out with a website.  So, we can now order from her rather than waiting for our visits to Gore Bay.  This is quality stuff and worth the cost.  We dropped some coin in her store, but our grandchildren will be cuddly warm this winter!


So, once Jim returns from the grocery store, we're going to head north to the Whalesback or possibly John's Harbor.  We went to the grocery store yesterday for mustard and got everything but the mustard.  Luckily, the grocery store is just a short walk from the marina.  Anyway, wind should be no more than 10 knots this week...that's what they're calling for now.  We'll see.  

July 9-11


We left Little Current and decided to go west once we managed to get ourselves off the dock. There was a chatty power boater from Indiana that struck up a conversation with us as we were preparing to depart, but it was our fortune that he was there to help push us off since the combination of the wind and the current was pushing us into the pier. Even the bow thruster had a difficult time working against the current, but we were off, sails raised, and on our way once we were free of the marina.


We sailed for awhile and ended up in Clapperton to check out the old resort on Harbour Island. We found ourselves exploring it our first summer here and couldn’t get over how everything had been left as if the people had simply disappeared. A coffee urn was still sitting on a bar in one of the cabins, the curtains still hung from the rods, and a vacuum cleaner was still plugged into the wall. Of course, nature was taking over the buildings and the poison ivy plants surrounding the island were some of the healthiest I’ve ever seen. So we don’t venture onto the island anymore, but just view the extent of roof cave in and tree overgrowth from a safe distance. Other than more foliage and a broken window, everything appears to be the same as last year.


Clapperton is great for bird watching, though. We’ve never had the normally shy loons come so close to our boat. They do this little dance where they all get in a circle and swim around like they’re doing some sort of organized square dance. They’re cool birds. There are fewer sea gulls than we experienced years past, but the eagles are here and what I used to view as majestic and amazing are now just nasty birds of prey. Annabelle and Mia were enjoying their cockpit time and wandering around, napping and doing their cat thing when two eagles started swooping around the boat. They circled closer and closer until I could see that they were clearly hunting. I may have looked like a crazy woman, but I swung the red pail I had in my hand over my head like a windmill, threatening to heave it at the vicious birds and yelled obscenities at them. I saw an eagle carry off a swan last summer. I was not going to allow these freakishly large, pterodactyl monsters to make my cats their midday snack. They’ve been around again, but my red pail weapon must have been enough warning for them to stop setting their hungry eyes on my pets.


Swimming has been the preferred form of exercise the past couple of days. The water temperature here is 76 degrees and pleasant. The people on the tug anchored near us have had a lot of luck fishing in the weeds across from where we’re anchored. They’ve caught enough fish to feed themselves for a week; breakfast, lunch and dinner. I hope that they have a freezer on their vessel.


Jim and I are leaving Clapperton this morning and headed for Gore Bay. There’s a birthday dinner in store for me this evening!


Write a comment

Comments: 2
  • #1

    Jane (Wednesday, 11 July 2012 20:54)

    Hey there! Happy birthday! I hope you had a good dinner in Gore Bay!

  • #2

    Sharon (Thursday, 12 July 2012 05:17)

    Thanks, Jane. We actually had a great dinner. We finally tried the Cafe own the Bay. It really was good. We were pleasantly surprised. The Harbor Master's (Lee) son is a waiter there and his sister is the manager. Nepotism on Manitoulin??

Swing Bridge at Little Current
Swing Bridge at Little Current

July 8th  We had another great evening with Shelly, Tom and Brad from the S/V Sympatico last night in Covered Portage Cove.  I put together a dinner of chicken, veggies and wild rice and we all had some drinks, lots of laughs, and didn't even realize it was getting late when we finally said goodbye and called it a night.  


But Jim and I were up early this morning and ready to head down the Lansdown Channel, through the swing bridge and into Little Current.  We were running low on fresh produce, milk, and water and the holding tank was getting full.  Being in port just plain depresses the cats.  They won't even go up the ladder.   Both Mia and Annabelle have looked up and out the hatch, but sauntered back to their perches in our state room and closed their eyes.  There's a dog on the boat beside us and that seems to have sealed the deal for them.  


The groceries have been purchased and both Jim and I have trudged through our email, so once I have my Nook issue taken care of and we take on water and run a load or two of laundry, we'll be off to another anchorage tomorrow.  That will make the cats happy.


We ran into Nancy, Dan, Ray and Judy from the vessels Nancy D and Hot Cakes.  They were our neighbors in Southport Marina when we moored there.  There's also a contingency of Racine folk here as well.  The boating world is a small one, for sure.  We hope to see Shelly, Tom, and Brad again soon before they head back to their home port, but we really don't know where we're going tomorrow.  It'll all depend upon the wind and the weather.

My Skipper
My Skipper

July 3-7


We left Tobermory and sailed back to Club Island. It’s not that we lack originality or really love Club Island, it was just that it was practical. We’ve made this year’s cruising more about going where the wind blows us and sailing when it suits us instead of racing from anchorage to anchorage. There was a bit of rain in the forecast for Tuesday, so we settled in after we set anchor and caught up on Downton Abbey. I was really grateful that Jim ordered the DVDs before we left in preparation for days just like Tuesday. We started over from the beginning since I don’t think Jim paid much attention to the program when I inflicted it upon him on a snowy day last winter. It’s an excellent series, so I didn’t mind starting over and Jim seemed to find it excellent the second time.


Anyway, the sun came out eventually and we had the anchorage to ourselves to explore. Club Island is really an oddity. The horseshoe shaped cove is too perfect to have been created by nature. There are small rocks along the shore as if the anchorage had been dynamited at one time to create this little haven in the middle of nowhere. What’s really strange is that there is no vegetation growing on the rocks on or in the water within the anchorage. We may see an occasional sea gull, but there are no cormorants , loons, eagles or other birds that eat fish because there isn’t a fish to be found. The water is clear and clean and the bottom is easily seen, but there’s something strange about the un-murky water. It’s beautiful, for sure, but strange nonetheless. We also get random cell service there. Brandon called us from Germany on the 4th of July and we were able to talk to him like he was one island over, but text messages came in sporadically the rest of the day.


Jim and I kayaked to shore and wandered around the island and got a bit of exercise, but the water was still too cold for me to swim. At 68 degrees, I’ll just dip my feet in and wait a few days for the water to reach a non-bone shivering temperature.   Annabelle and Mia love being on anchor since we allow them to wander up into the cockpit without harness or leash and let them sit with us. Mia is fascinated with spider webs and has made it her chore to clear them every morning. Annabelle likes to check out every boat that arrives in the anchorage and rudely stare at them.


We watched with Annabelle as boat after boat after boat arrived in what was our private little anchorage on Wednesday. We had a great time with the crew of S/V Simpatico Wednesday evening, but that was after Jim attempted to start an international incident when a boat came in and dropped their anchor right on top of ours. Luckily, the other Canadians in the anchorage were a bit bewildered by the actions of this vessel that will remain unnamed. After some words, they pulled anchor and went to the opposite side of the cove.


Thursday wasn’t my day. I broke out in hives, had a headache, and my Nook decided to stop allowing me to see the lower left hand corner of text. Not only that, I joined the league of boaters who have hit rocks. I was in tears, but after going through the play by play, I realized that it could have happened to anyone who had been at the helm at that moment. Jim dove under the boat once we arrived at Covered Portage and set anchor. There was barely a scrape, but nonetheless it was sad. It was a club I had hoped to never join. We were leaving Club Island and I was very careful to watch the depth. I was monitoring the depth and had 2 feet of water under the keel when I bumped the underwater rock garden. No harm, really. It just upset me the rest of the day.


We’ve spent the last couple of days in Covered Portage swimming (water temp here is a respectable 72), kayaking, and enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery. I would like to go hiking today, but there was a bear reported here a couple days ago and Annabelle’s sniffer is going wild in the cockpit. She seems to know that there’s some big animal on shore.


We had cocktails with Bob and Kathy from S/V Georgian Mist. They have two cats on board as well. Ironically, their cats are both Siamese and one is named Mia. They are allowed to wander and run about the boat as they wish, but they have also been trained to paddle to the swim ladder and get back onboard on their own. Which is a good thing because these two chase each other around and have splashed on occasion. Annabelle and our Mia aren’t as rambunctious so I doubt if we’ll be tossing them into the water to teach them how to swim.


I’m looking forward to going to port tomorrow to provision and get my fix of the internet and transfer my books from my Barnes and Nobel account to Jim’s hand me down, spare Nook. Thank goodness we have a spare. If I didn’t have books to read I would lose my mind. I also promised Jim that I’d buy him breakfast with bacon since I won’t allow it to be made onboard. I hate the smell of bacon. I baked Jim a cake last night and he made a homemade pizza for us so he’s not suffering in the least. 


July 3rd Moving On:  The weather reports were conflicting yesterday and Jim and I were a bit apprehensive about the low water levels in some of the areas on the western shore of the Bruce Penisula, so we stayed as our friends on Split Crow headed south. The water level is 4 inches above datum, a difference lower than 5 inches from last year.  So, we need to be cautious.  We need to be in southern Lake Michigan for a wedding in August while Dennis and Jane need to be much further east at the same time.  We're going to miss them this summer, but we owe them homemade pizza so our paths will cross again even if it means a land trip.


Jim and I finally gave in to the lure of fish and chips yesterday and spoiled ourselves with the greasy concoction.  It's a restaurant treat that we won't have for awhile. We'll be heading back to a protected anchorage today and the rest of the week since there are storms in the forecast.  


The cat update is good.  Annabelle actually pawed at my back this morning to get up.  I think she's ready to leave the pier too.  So, I'll most likely be without internet for a few days.  See ya all in a few days.  Shout out to Trevor and Low Down Dirty...break a leg tomorrow at SummerFest and to all a Happy Fourth of July!!

Tobermory Sites
Tobermory Sites

July 1:  Tobermory 

We’re back in Tobermory, Ontario. The marina is located at the northernmost point of the Bruce Peninsula and it was a quick sail from Club Island.. We’ve met up with our good pals on Split Crow. It’s been a beautiful last couple of days. We stopped in at Gore Bay and checked in with Canadian Customs. The paperwork for the cats was all in order. They just needed to know that they were vaccinated and healthy and we were good to go. We threw out the anchor in Gore Bay and left early the next morning for Club Island.


Club Island is simply amazing. The water is turquoise blue and the island is uninhabited. It was a fishing port at one time, though. The remains of a building still stand on land and a sunken fishing ship from the late 1800s can be found in the anchorage. Now, it’s a nice anchorage and we found refuge there two nights. There were only four other boats anchored there, so it was a peaceful two days despite that it got fairly windy. It was too windy for the kayak, so we did boat chores, played with the cats and read a lot.   We had no cell or internet service at all on Club Island, which is nice in a way, but disturbing on another level.


Speaking of cats, since we were on anchor we removed the hatch board and allowed the girls free rein to come out into the cockpit without leash or harness. Annabelle thought this was awesome and took advantage of the freedom. They both seem to enjoy the peace of being at anchor as much as we do. They’re not fond of the generator, but since we don’t have to run it very long, it’s something that they live with.


We arrived here at Tobermory, better known as the Circus of Tourists in my SKWJ Guidebook to Ontario, around 10 Saturday morning. They have us back on the wall where the tourists jump on a glass bottom boat to see all the ship wrecks and the islands around here. They like to port hole peek, so the curtains are drawn and the cats aren’t happy about that. They also aren’t happy about all the commotion outside the boat. I think that they prefer the peace of being on anchor. Who doesn’t?


We’ll be here for two days and Jim and I have already finished our grocery shopping, a load of laundry, and wandering around a bit. Drinks and dinner tonight with Jane and Dennis ought to be fun and I plan to run tomorrow before it gets too hot and surely do some shopping.

Happy Canada Day! Tobermory is hopping. Jane and Dennis convinced us that we needed to go for a Canada Day swim and we acquiesced…When in Rome. The water was icy cold, so it wasn’t as much of a swim as it was a quick dip. We plan on heading for Stokes to anchor tomorrow with Split Crow and continue down the western side of the Bruce Peninsula for a few days. We aren’t yet sure when we’ll start heading back north, but we’re exploring where we can check back into the US and that will most likely weigh into our decision. We also have some catching up to do in the practical joke department with Jane and Dennis…let the good times begin!

Write a comment

Comments: 11
  • #1

    Judy (Monday, 02 July 2012 02:48)

    Where are you planning to go this year? The pictures are breathtaking.

  • #2

    somewhere54 (Monday, 02 July 2012 06:06)

    Where the wind blows us, Judy. Actually, we're staying in proximity of Michigan so that we can get to family if needed. Right now, we're told that we aren't, so this morning we'll be heading south to explore the western side of the Bruce Peninsula.

  • #3

    somewhere54 (Monday, 02 July 2012)

    Maybe we won't head south today...keeping an eye on the radar, wind, waves.

  • #4

    Linda (Monday, 02 July 2012 07:31)

    Beautiful water. So nice that you all are together again,even tho they played a good practical joke on you. cant wait to see what you come up with :) I will have to find my bookmark again for splitcrow and see what they say :)

  • #5

    somewhere54 (Monday, 02 July 2012 09:01)

    Linda, their website is http://splitcrow.ca They have to be in Quebec City by a certain date in August, so they will continue to move south ad east. We split up this morning, but are hoping to catch up with them soon. It all depends upon the wind.

  • #6

    Linda (Tuesday, 03 July 2012 03:11)

    Thanks I did find my bookmark of their website. Shame you wont be spending as much time together as you usually do.

  • #7

    Lisa (Wednesday, 04 July 2012 10:32)

    Happy 4th! Your icy dip sounds welcome right about now as the temp and humidity here just wraps around you. Your journey continues to sound lovely. Living vicariously...

  • #8

    Scott (Thursday, 05 July 2012 17:30)

    You should try to head in to Baie Fine, just around the corner from you. There are several very good anchorages along the main bay without having to go into The Pool, which is full of weeds. We spent 5 nights there couple years back and it was fantastic. Great scenery and good hiking on the ridges.

    Hopefully you'll get our way yet this year, if not, we'll try again next year.

  • #9

    somewhere54 (Sunday, 08 July 2012 15:23)

    Happy 4th, Lisa. Sorry a little late. We've heard about the heat and misery south of the border. It's been hot here as well, but nothing like the record setting temps you guys are seeing.

    We will certainly take your advice, Scott. I'm not sure if we'll get into Southern Georgian Bay this year. Are you coming up this way at all?

  • #10

    Scott (Monday, 09 July 2012 11:25)

    Only getting just over a week at a time this year, so won't get much farther north than Parry Sound.

    We'll try again next year.


  • #11

    Judy (Wednesday, 11 July 2012 13:21)

    Thanks Sharon. Don't know what the problem was getting back into your site. Sounds like you guys are having a fun and relaxing time. Happy Birthday!!!!!